When do I enroll my child?
Children who are 5 years old by July 31 enroll in kindergarten for that school year. For example, children who are 5 years old by July 31, 2020 enroll in kindergarten for the 2020-21 school year. Children who turn 5 on August 1 or later enroll the following school year. For more information, please read our
How can I help my child get ready for school?
Parents and caregivers have the most influence in these key factors that enhance a child’s readiness for school. If you need assistance with these, please see
- Ongoing health care, which includes prevention and treatment
- A safe, nurturing environment
- Appropriate rest, nourishment and clothing
- Opportunities for physical activity
- Consistent love, affection and care
- Positive self-concept
- Appropriate social behavior
- Reading, writing and viewing as natural daily activity
- Language development
- Development of thinking
What are the Learner Outcomes for my Kindergartener?
In Kindergarten, teachers begin evaluating students in terms of their success in demonstrating General Learner Outcomes, behaviors that indicate kids are on the path to becoming engaged, lifelong learners.